Thursday, September 29, 2011

my Emma...


The pug is living proof 
that God has a sense of humor.  
~Margo Kaufman


Miss Emma celebrated a birthday yesterday... she's 12.
Can't believe it really. It just feels like yesterday that Matt and I drove up to Portland to meet her. We walked up the stairs to see her sitting in a puppy crate. She cocked her little head sideways at us, and it was love at first sight! She curled up in my lap on the way home that evening, and she has been warming my heart ever since!

She's a funny girl. Personality PLUS! She was Matt and my first baby. She gave us great practice for potty & manner training, and patience, and waking up in the night to take care of something else, and how to baby proof or puppy proof life so no one gets say poisoned or injured ;)!

I still remember walking Emma in our very first fashion show to kick of her very own store. Our days of riding our bike to work; her in the bike basket, me on my cruiser.... wind in my hair, wind in her wrinkles. Her and I have changed a lot over the years. We've both aged. She maybe quicker on the outside than I have, but we've been through all of it together. She is my little companion. The heartbeat at my feet!

In her twelve years of life as a shop owner, she has moved 3 times, welcomed two human sisters home, a doggy sister, and a brother cat. She is never jealous. She is pretty secure in her place in our hearts. She knows she could never be replaced. She sort of has a more the merrier kind of personality. She spent many a day in the shop greeting customers, and saying hello. Now that she is more mature she prefers to stay in the comforts of her own home. She is retired these days, but she still loves to come in from time to time to say hello, & run a good 'pug circle' around the shop.

It's funny, there was a day when everyone knew what Emma Downtown stands for... these days, everyone doesn't always realize since she isn't a presence in the shop each day like she once was. I wanted to take this opportunity to let you get to know the girl behind the name. The girl behind the very heart of our shop! It's Emma! Sweet, funny, snores like a truck driver, smells like Newport Oregon, toothless, blind as a bat, deaf as can be, happy go lucky, Emma!

Happy Birthday Sweet Emma Lootchie!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Super sweet post! Love, love, love pugs!